Are you interested in starting a fulfilling health care career?
In partnership with the B.C. Ministry of Health, Fraser Health is looking to hire Health Care Support Workers (HCSW) and support them in becoming qualified to be registered as a Health Care Assistant through the Health Careers Access Program (HCAP). HCSWs will work in the emergency department in a hospital.
What will HCAP offer you?
As a HCSW you will alternate between completing the Health Care Assistant program at an assigned post secondary school and getting on the job experience. During the education sessions you will be paid a weekly stipend and while working you would receive an hourly rate. Your registration and cost of acquiring food safe, first aide and English language equivalency testing will all be covered.
Upon graduating from the HCA training program, you will be eligible to register with the BC Care Aide & Community Health Worker Registry and seek employment as a qualified Health Care Assistant.
This program is available to Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents.
As a Health Care Support Worker you will:
- Work under the direction of a Registered Nurse or another regulated healthcare professional.
- Perform a variety of non-direct and/or non-clinical healthcare supports to clients and families in home settings in accordance with the established care plan and safety requirements.
We are currently recruiting for participants in several regionswithin Fraser Health Authority. Please apply to the posting number for the region you are interested in working in.
Posting #2022-30012– Chilliwack, Hope, Abbotsford, Mission
Posting #2022-30013 – Langley, Surrey, White Rock, Maple Ridge
Posting #2022-30014 – Burnaby, New Westminster, Port Moody
Effective October 26th, 2021 all staff for all positions across Health Care require full COVID 19 vaccination. All positions, require that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (have received a full series of a World Health Organization “WHO” approved vaccine against infection by SARS-COV-2, or a combination of approved WHO vaccines). Please note this applies to all postings, and there are no exceptions.
- Participates as an integral member of a healthcare delivery team to provide a variety of non-direct and/or non-clinical healthcare supports to clients, residents, families and/or visitors to meet established needs.
- Establishes rapport with clients, residents and families, and assists in promoting physical, emotional, cultural, social, and spiritual well-being. Observes clients and residents, and their environments, to identify and report unsafe conditions, behavioral and/or physical changes to designated supervisor.
- Assists with mealtime activities; sets up, welcomes and transports clients or residents to dining areas, sets up and collects meal trays, assists with limited food preparation such as heating prepared food, making tea, coffee, toast, , etc. where clients or residents require support.
- Provides assistance in carrying out activities; sets up supplies and equipment, assists with transporting clients or residents to designated areas, encourages participation in activities and provides support to clients or residents where required.
- Performs housekeeping duties such as sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming, dusting, washing dishes, and washing, drying, folding, and delivering laundry, where required.
- Greets visitors and others in accordance with established safety, security and infection control procedures and guidelines; provides information and/or redirects to appropriate person or area, where required.
- Checks and restocks supplies as required, including personal care, first aid, and housekeeping supplies and assists in taking inventory.
- Completes and maintains related records electronically, or using documents such as inter-shift communication books, daily log sheets and progress reports related to non-direct and/or non-clinical healthcare activities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Grade 10, including successful completion of English 10 or equivalency.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to organize work.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.